Sunday, January 4, 2015

Sunday Squee: Introduction

The Sunday Squee is when I can talk about things that make me happy and excited. The main focus will be on different things people created, from books to movies to television shows to podcasts, and my effort will be to highlight less commonly known things as a way to share what I love.


This project was inspired by a realization that I spent most of my time focused on things which upset me and make me sad or angry, and how profoundly this was affecting my energy and pleasure in the world. I work a very emotionally demanding job, and I try to self-educate on social justice in my free time, and I've become painfully aware of the effects of burn-out and how it can make me a crueler, less compassionate person. I've seen the way our own pain can blind us to the pain of others, and I desperately didn't want that to happen to me - and one way through to the light seemed to be to demand of myself focus on one thing I enjoy every week.

These will not be without shadow because I live in a world of nuance; I am slowly coming to terms with how to love problematic things, and so that means even while I squee, I acknowledge the flaws in what I love and how it may hurt others who don't love it as I do. I'm dedicated to this cause, though, sharing something I love every week and hoping someday to enjoy the things other people love in a similar context. Together, I believe, we can shift our focus from what we dislike, what we abhor, what we judge to what we love.

( More Sunday Squee here. )

No comments:

Post a Comment