Sunday, March 15, 2015

Sunday Squee: Bryn Oh

The Sunday Squee is when I can talk about things that make me happy and excited. The main focus will be on different things people created, from books to movies to television shows to podcasts, and my effort will be to highlight less commonly known things as a way to share what I love. If you want to join in the Sunday Squee, please link back to me so I can enjoy what you love!

Wing Spread

I don't remember when I first became aware that art was a thing in Second Life, but I know Bryn Oh was very close to the beginning. There is a wistfulness to her work which really captured my imagination - a way in which what she creates in Second Life is more distressed and bent than the usual creations. There is a weight of reality that somehow makes everything all the more surreal in world. The use of sound, shadow, and the focus on creating things which could only be created in Second Life - like an environment which could kill you, or where you could walk on the ceiling - adds to the immersive quality of Bryn's art and makes it something which keeps drawing me back in, over and over again.

V

When she first began in Second Life, she kept her offline and online art very separate - although they doubtlessly informed each other. In the last few years she's experimented more with what it means for things to be virtual, trying to bridge the gap between offline and online art, offline and online art galleries. She's also worked to raise the profile of artists within Second Life and is one of the people who runs the Linden Endowment for the Arts, which I featured on a previous Sunday Squee. I hunted through my history of photography at her various art events, and while I still feel like I'm missing a few, below is a fairly comprehensive view at how I've interacted with her art over time. This quality of interaction, the way I can insert myself into a narrative as an expression of my own art/photography, seems to be part of the dialogue of art which can be made much more immediate and conversational in virtual worlds than in other contexts - as much because the artistic creations themselves are protected from damage or vandalism as anything else.

Learning to Fly

Singularity of Kimiko: A Girl, a Shadow, and a Singularity;Walkthrough; Spotlight Vingettes.

Lighthouse of Alexandria: Relay for Life.

Further Along the Path: Review, Paths and Pilings.

A Rusted Development: Review.

The Path: Littlest Deo.

Virginia Alone: Images.

Family Unit: Drifts.

Light and Gravity: Review.

Standby: Indigo

Anna's Many Murders: Images, More Images.

Immersiva: Electric Blue, Eggplant, Wenge, Silver, In Teal.

Sudden Death

( More Sunday Squee here. )

No comments:

Post a Comment